Saturday, July 5, 2008

From Yosemite to the Bahamas



Yosemite was amazing. This is actually me at the top of Yosemite Falls - standing on a railing and leaning over so I could get me and the falls in the picture. I'd say all this hiking business has helped me a bit with that fear of heights...

And speaking of heights...I just got off the plane from LAX to Orlando, and I'm waiting for my connecting flight to Nassau. I'll stay the night there tonight and travel to Deadman's Cay tomorrow for my first day of "research". I really have to thank my friend, Holly, (fellow traveler/blogger/teacher!) who first told me about the whole Earthwatch program. I laugh a little each time I tell someone what I am doing - I am going to the Bahamas for FREE? Yeah, it's amazing what you cool things you can find in this world with a little effort. (or with a friend who does fun, adventurous things!)

So far, the traveling has been uneventful - I haven't had to transfer clothes from my bag to my body or throw away expensive bottles of lotion or missed any flights. I got a whole 4 hours of sleep last night - so that I could wake up at 4:45 this morning and do all my packing. I just can't seem to pack ahead of time...stubborn Taurus in me, maybe? Thanks to my airport taxi who very generously drove me to LAX this morning - you're the coolest.

I'm not sure what my internet access will be like on the very small island I will be on for the next 11 days, so I may not be able to post anything until I get to Florida. I'll be visiting my mom in Tampa from the 17th to the 19th. Yeah, mom!

Until I get a chance to talk to ya again, hope you all had a great 4th and are enjoying the sunshine wherever you are!

Kim : )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim- Good luck. Have fun and keep in touch. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

-Dan

Jackie said...

Hi Kim!

Was great talking to you on your layover - can't wait to see you and spend some time
together!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your trip and write when you can!

Love You and I am proud of you!
Mom
xo
Ü