Sunday, July 13, 2008

Delbert just walked by with a bag of fish

Next time I'll have to get a picture of him. That was cute. He has about four teeth and he was showing me the half dozen fish that he was going to put in his freezer. I was actually able to identify two of them. Apparently most men are lacking quite a few teeth on this island for some reason. Lack of dentists? I may be trying out the island doctor tomorrow...my throat started hurting about 4 days ago and it's gotten worse each day - and symptoms have been adding onto it, like earache, sore lymph nodes, headache, feverish, nausea, light-headed-ness,...fun stuff. I opted out of the snorkeling this morning and watched everybody from up above on the pretty limestone rocks. We came back to the apt and they all left a little while ago to head out to another site and I decided to stay and give my body a break. It's never fun being sick, but it's especially not fun on such a deserted island. Nothing is open today. But we're going to try to find me a doctor tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Here are some shots from the last few days...
This is me, very excited to be at a beautiful beach again. I have had enough of stinky, dirty, swampy water.


This is the whole gang, at the same beach - we called this site "Down by the Sea House"
That down there is called a seine. We all worked together to drag that out in the water, while some people splashed around in the water to get the fish to move toward it, and then it was dragged out so we could see what fish we could get. We did it three times (it's a lot of work) and we saw two tiny fish. Not a good site for this apparently...
This is me at Dean's Blue Hole. It's about 660 feet deep. And I learned how blue holes were formed last night...I can share that bit of knowledge with you later.

This is our PI (Primary Investigator) Dr. Kathleen Sullivan Sealy and her daughter Natasha. They live in Nassau, and Natasha just came out to join us for a few days of the trip. We went to a plaiting demonstration, which is very popular on Long Island.
We're gettin our culture on.
And this is where we are staying - Room 3 at the villa. Not bad at all...just have to learn to ignore the roosters and to avoid the ants by putting EVERYTHING in the fridge. And situate yourself in front of a fan whenever possible. Which is what I need to go do now...

Oh my, Delbert just came by again and talked my ear off for about fifteen minutes. The Bahamian accent is much harder to understand with only 4 teeth...

No comments: