Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lovin It


This is a self portrait taken whilst being flung around the mountainside in the back of a pick-up truck. Awesome.

So...I can say now, with all honesty, that I wasn't so sure about this place in my first day or two. Of course, I didn't want to admit that to anyone, but now that things are turning around, I don't feel so bad saying it. Cold shower, not being understood, awkward meal times, frustrating classes, not being able to walk around at night, etc, etc...there are some less than ideal situations here. BUT...4 days in and I know I want to come back to this place again. I could stay here for much longer than 3 weeks. I love it. Absolutely love it. I have mastered the shower temperature controls. I actually carried on a great conversation with my host mother this afternoon. I attended a traditional Mayan ceremony for the Mayan New Year last night. Incredible. I have salsa lessons in an hour. (SCARY!! I feel embarrassing moment #2 coming on...) (Actually there has already been an embarrassing moment #2 and #3, but I'm not disclosing those at this time.) And probably most exciting - I starting learning the past tense in my Spanish class today. I was like a giddy little kid. I'm such a nerd. OH! I nearly forgot - even more exciting - I went to an orphanage today and asked in my very own broken Spanish all by myself about volunteering there - and she understood me! So, I'll be going there next Wed and Friday. From what I hear, they can use any help they can get. I'm really looking forward to that.

So, I need to go study now. I have salsa lessons, as well as a benefit for the orphanage after that. And then tomorrow after class, I am off with 3 new friends to Lake Atitlan - which I hear is amazing. Regardless of the fact that not too many people seem incredibly interested in my little adventures, I will continue to let you know what's new here. I probably won't get to the computer again until next week, so an early Feliz Navidad to all of you!

: )

3 comments:

Jim said...

Sounds like another chapter in your life's journey is well underway.....good for you! Continue to enjoy and stay safe!

Holly E. said...

Kim!!
You sound just like I did when I went. I remember that feeling of not really enjoying myself because it's so hard, to LOVING it and thinking about how long I could stay or maybe even live in Guatemala.

I'll email you privately about my specific questions but I'm so excited to read your blog each time you post. Sorry I haven't posted each time, but know that I check it every day!
Have fun in Atitlan!
Holly

Nancy said...

Hi Kim!

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I'm so glad you're blogging so much - it's been a great read! Take care, be safe and keep on having fun!

Nancy