Sunday, December 16, 2007

I made it!

Hey guys! I'm here! It's about 2:40 pm Guatemala time (which I have learned is Central Time). I arrived in Guatemala City at 3:30 am Los Angeles time and have slept a wink or two since. Feeling slightly loopy, but good. 'Twas an interesting past 15 or so hours, to say the least. Let's see if I can recap somewhat briefly...

In typical Kim-procrastination-fashion, I waited until about an hour before it was time for me to leave to start packing. So, in a last minute mad rush, I just started throwing things into my bags and before you know it, I had two suitcases, a duffle bag and a backpack all pretty full. Once I saw it all, I wanted to unpack some stuff, but it was too late. My friend Vernon dropped me off at the Van Nuys Fly Away and I of course missed the bus that I wanted to get on. But, no worries, another came along. When I finally got to LAX, I was told at the baggage counter that only one of my bags would probably get on my flight with me. The other would probably come the next day. Well, seeing that Guatemala City is a four hour bus ride from where I am staying, that was a little less than convenient, so after holding back tears, I stepped away from the counter, took a few deep breaths, and replayed my first Japan flight all over again. I started emptying out bags, putting on more clothes on, throwing away stuff and consolidating my 4 bags to 3. So, now I have the three most stuffed bags ever - but I was able to check just the one, carry on the other two and yes, indeed, I have all of my bags today. Phew. Forget what I said about short.

I arrived in Guatemala City and was greeted by about 500 eager faces - 50 of which had to ask me if I needed a ride, before my ride actually showed up. I was taken to a little bed and breakfast just a few minutes away and ate the most amazing pineapple I've had in my life. Some pretty damn good coffee too. There, I met two students who traveled with me to Xela, where our school is. One of them is starting at my school with me tomorrow. He's an engineering student from Philly and my Spanish speaking saving grace right now. Turns out my Spanish is even worse than I thought. : )

Oh - I nearly forgot. Our bus trip. Here's Kim's embarrassing moment #1 in Guatemala. So, I decide, after about two hours in that I need to use the restroom. I go to the back of the bus and see there that is no toilet paper, so back to my seat - Holly prepared me for this - I got toilet paper - I'm cool. I go back to the bathroom and try to close the door. Hmmm...it doesnt seem to want to close for me. Okay, I can do this. So, I hold the door shut with one hand, do my business with my other hand, pack of tissues being held by my teeth - and, no - it's not what you think - the door did NOT fly open. Mission accomplished. Until...I try to get out of the bathroom. Long story short (HA!) I was stuck in the bathroom for 30 minutes, banging and kicking the door until finally we were stuck in traffic and the bus stopped and quited down enough for my new friend to come rescue me. Needless to say, I'm holding it next time.

Okay, off to get some grub and explore the city a bit.

Nos Vemos!

No comments: