Monday, December 24, 2007

El lago es muy bonito!


This is one of the many amazing vistas found at Lake Atitlan. I went there on Friday afternoon with 7 amigos, and we returned last night. It was such an awesome adventure! The lake is surrounded by volcanoes - all of which I wanted to climb. But, after a day of kayaking and horseback riding on Saturday (and a night of "enjoying" the pueblo to the fullest - a la "Full Moon Parties") - my body wasn't quite up for the trekking come Sunday morning. We stayed at a great little hostel/hotel in San Pedro - the whole family of indigenous Mayans were there working and they were lovely.

So, here it is - Christmas Eve - I am hoping to join mi familia for church, dinner and "who knows what" at midnight. Surely, there will be loads of fireworks, some gift exchanging and perhaps some tamale making/eating? Confusion is still a part of my every day, so I'm never quite sure. Tomorrow, there will be no classes, but I do hope to study on my own, and then there will be a dinner that we will all cook together here at the school. I think I am going to take it easy on the activities this week and focus more on my studies. Next weekend, I may either take a trip to Tikal to see the most famous and largest of the Mayan ruins (it's quite a trip) or I may stay a little closer to Xela and climb a more local volcano. We shall see...

I don't think I will be able to contact any of you tomorrow as everything is closed, so I wish you all the merriest Christmas if you are celebrating! Thanks to all of you who have been in touch!

With love and hope!

Kim : )

2 comments:

Craig said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Mackay house!!!!

Jim said...

Kim

We didn't get to talk in person, but we felt your presen(ts). I hope you felt our's as well.

Post Felis Navidad.

WL&H